Saturday, August 15, 2015

Running Away



When I run away from my life, it's down back roads & blue highways I've not yet traveled. And it's in a direction I would not normally go. And I roll the windows down, blaring the music nearly to a point of distortion. And I sob & hate & laugh & yell & swear at the road in front of me. And when I'm really beyond my limits of sorting anything out, I shout at the Universe with much regret, but intentional impulsivity, "curse you!". I know I shouldn't, but I do. Fuck the ripple effect from this ever so brief ranting against the issues I perceive as out of control. And eventually, the rush of emotions empties from me & I find myself with incredible views, able to smell the air & feel the wind in my truck.

The thing is, when you run away, its impulsive & necessary. I mean, I could go down to the neighborhood bar & grill & drown my sorrows in bar food & drinks, which I've racked up many hours & dollars & hangovers in my lifetime thus far. Or I can just let out the range of emotions & slide into a "burning of the carbon", & have it drive me to a clarity in my mind, body & soul.

After all that there is this stumbling out of those miles. They turn themselves itself into a stopping point. A place you happen upon where the energy connects with you so much, you literally stop, and get out. Usually, it's serene & quiet. Void of the noises & cursers of people & life. That stop can be just like this bend in the river above. I've never been here but certainly feel this strange connection. This comfortable, "I've been here" kind of energy. I assume it comes from knowing the artist? This photographer captured a moment. It truly is his experience & place. And this river is of course somewhere off some back road, some blue highway that he stumbled upon. The temporary conditions captured ever so briefly, only to dissolve as his day began. I'm inclined to ask, so I could take myself there, but I think I'd rather let the rare chance, or fate, that at some point in another random emotional upheaval, my cleansing drive will ironically lead me here! To that mysterious bend in a river, seen through an artist's eye & captured in a skilled photographer's frame. And now I know, that when I can't get away, no matter how desperately I need to, I've got a place that calls to me & lets me know, this to shall pass. Like the flow of the river & its bends, it's over time that things change.

But for today, I am content in my stay. I am grateful for those who are close to me in my life, the struggles I have are really few & manageable. And no matter what, I know I really don't have to go far to get a perspective of something much greater than me or my moods. I know that through art, the artist & these snap-shots into nature, I will be provided all I need to reflect, understand & heal.



Photographer, John Peters

No comments:

Post a Comment