Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Big Mouth



In all honesty, I don't pick up my mail on a daily basis anymore, because, let's face it, it's nothing but crap for the recycling bin & bills. The days of those coveted letters is long gone. But on that rare occasion when there's a  package, I get a bit apprehensive wondering what the hell I ordered but can't remember. Today I got a package in the mail. Delivered to the front door--the children were ecstatic thinking it may be for any one of them. I looked at the return address on this lightweight, but substantial size box my daughter needing her two arms to wrap around & someone to get the door so she could carry it in. In that moment, I found myself having to sit down. 

I just stared at it in utter awe. Silenced, as my heart was skipping a beat. "You've got to be kidding me!?" I said. My children were already elbowing each other over presenting me with a kitchen knife to cut open the box. They were all like, "what is it? How lucky for you mom!". And through the packing tape, and various pieces of bubble wrap (to which my daughter quickly snatched up for herself as to make her brothers beg to save some pops for them) was something wrapped in brown paper. I gently pulled the paper away & was utterly thrilled at a big-mouthed frog! Made of terracotta (a favorite) vibrantly hand painted. But it was the note that brought the tears.....


"I'm Lost For Words, 
Even With My Big Mouth"

The Art Workmanship
Thought of you Lizzi, couldn't pass it by.
Love & Hugs, 
Julie


Over the last few months, I've grown weary in my hope & energy. I've been chalking it up to an exhausting summer with my children, the crazy weather & running a business. Plus, it's the last 3 weeks building up to the return to school & every time I hear the word, "BORED" I want to scream! My daily intentions are to just get through.....school will be here soon. Just hang on! The fantasy of a noon time bloody mary would definitely contribute to a brief hiatus from the "B" word. And so it goes.....

Being the recipient of such an amazing & thoughtful gift, to me is absolutely priceless, & I am humbled. And in this awkward humility, I am struggling to accept such generosity. I don't feel like I've done anything extraordinary or worthy. I'm obviously wrong.

My very dear & long time friend was compelled to randomly gift me something because it reminded her of me. There's is no greater compliment. It's because of friends that we are able to muddle through the hard times. It's a random act of kindness that was more than profound & has all kinds of laughter & meaning behind the words & the frog. It's a reminder that what was once a negative, crushing the soul of someone, is now a humbling reminder that we are all human. We are all learning. We are all growing. And everything in our journey, good, bad & ugly, brings us to our now! That it's our friends whom we trust most for the gentle nudges, guideposts & reminders, of life looking at it from the outside. Her now & my now have endured some more than difficult times. Very different in circumstance, but painful no less. 


I am feeling a bit competitive, now that I have a real big mouth in my studio. With each glance of it, I am reminded that our voices are important. That what we have to say deserves the respect to be heard. And even if it comes out sideways or slant ways or wrong ways, it's still our voice. I couldn't bare the thought of utter silence in my life & I am pained by friends I know who carry around such a burden. We all have a torch to carry in some form. They need more love & understanding than others. Or, a big mouth!

Thank you, dear friend for reminding me, that just when the load feels too heavy to carry, there's a friend right there to share in the journey. Whether that be near or far, they understand. Birds of a feather I say. I am blessed to have many big mouths in my life & I wouldn't change any of them. No matter how big or small their mouths!

I dedicate this post to my life long friend, Julie....the awesomest big mouth I know. It's been a long road & we've still got a long ways to go. Thank you for everything!
Love, ME!

No comments:

Post a Comment