Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Keep Your Eye on the Ball !


The Peanuts are part of Minnesota history. I mean Charles Schultz hails from St.Paul! And these characters are the epitome of our culture--we stuff & seethe. Garrison Keillor, Prairie Home Companion, for those of you who don't know, in my minds eye, coined the phrase. It was sad to see Camp Snoopy leave MOA (Mall of America), but this too has passed. Although, you can still see the peanuts characters scattered all over the State Fairgrounds.

In any given day I am a Charlie Brown and Lucy. Opposite & polarizing personalities. Annoyed at the irritations of those to slow to recognize my need to press things along while wrapped up in a self-loathing, UGH...sigh. A friend said I was probably bi-polar, to which I told her she did NOT understand what that was. (Although it would provide me with a label & excuse for my indiscretions). However, she assumes she knows me, to which I think, "how can she or anyone else know me, if, I, myself don't know me? I mean what does that exactly mean anyways?"

Prime example would be, "I'm taking charge here, but please don't yell at me if you wanted to run the show". 

Charlie Brown & Lucy.
The ball was the point of contention. The point of question. The point of deliberation.
I've heard say, people passionate of life battle the rationale of their head, but are led with their heart. Can you say inner turmoil?

Lucy protests she has only Schroeder in her heart, although she contradicts herself by looking out for her brother Linus & his blanket...all the while irritated, but always all-knowing. Which she later validates by yanking out his blanket. She pleasures in pulling out the football right at the point of proof, and soothes her vanity by charging anyone who will pay 2 nickles for her advice! Maybe that's why I don't charge what I should as a designer--I would be setting myself up for consequence....for a possible yelling at or an ugh.


Everyone loves Charlie Brown! He's just a nice guy who never strays for his moral just. His slow to process, & inability to connect with the speed at which life goes by, leaves him, unwittingly content in his somewhat awareness of happenings. Don't ask me, I'm ALWAYS the last one to know & even then, there's a good chance I won't remember anyways.

I am most outwardly a Lucy...exhibiting a shinier, bubblier personality more like Sally. I remember several decades ago, another lifetime really, my art college days, I so desperately wanted to change my name to Lucy. I think within a week of various liquid gatherings, I had met three Lucy's...all with distinctive personalities--extroverted characters they were. And fashionable. I've never been fashionable--gotta slow down long enough & take the time. Throw it one & go!  


My thoughts were the name presented so many possibilities for marketing, typography & design....oh, those were the romantic days. I should have been more of a Lucy & just gone with it. Darn, was that regret I just expressed? Be gone!!! But my parents are quite traditional & god forbid I would do something so outlandish! So I modernized my birth name Elizabeth to Lizzi. Lizzi with an "I" I still say. It became the brilliant marketing ploy of our portfolio show. EVERYONE just couldn't believe I wanted to be called Lizzi & not Liz. And that I made tent business cards. Who  would ever do something so absurd? They were "suppose to be" square! They "wouldn't" fit into a card file holder or Rolodex or wallet! "Why" a tent? How much information does she need to put on that card? BLA! BLA! BLA! Guess who went through ALL of her cards? All 400 of them?

ME!! 

Of course, I never got a great job or anything. Just the successful proof in the pudding that maybe, just maybe I knew something! Maybe, just maybe, I was a true creative. Someone who through blind faith would pursue an idea or concept with the pure energy & confidence that IT WILL be successful with no questions asked. A LUCY! I pull that ball out just when I am told, "you really don't want to do THAT? do you?!" Ummm....yep! 

I settled into my successful impulsive decision of design mystro by getting quite intoxicated the 3rd day of the show, at Braxton's Pub right next door. Their Bloody Mary's & fresh water oysters were intoxicatingly beyond delicious. Besides, I was already out of business cards...what else was there? oh yeah, onward to STOUT!!

So what was the ball....the business cards. Lucy NEVER looses sight of the ball. Charlie Brown ALWAYS KNOWS the ball is never within his reach & is left with a repetitive ugh. Classmates didn't believe me but I had the ball. No back peddling from them about how genius Lizzi with an "i" was in her design choices. Again I am left with a literal, ugh. 

And so the cycle continues....good grief. BUT, I not only have control of the ball, but I also keep my eye on the ball. Because life offers up fumbles. And if you don't have control of the ball, well the landing is most likely gonna hurt. Which leaves you to stuff & seethe...

...grumbling under your breathe, "good grief".



No comments:

Post a Comment