Monday, August 13, 2012

My Secret Napping Place


I came back inside because, as per my usual, I forgot something.
Just before I reached for the door to leave, I couldn't locate my house keys...
F*CKING-A!
Every-god-damn-time....

For whatever reason, I look out....
It's warm out today.
The weather has shifted far more to the humidity of the South. Unusual.
Maybe I should just step out into the sun, sit on my stoop & take a load off. 
I mean, I don't really have to run into town.
My distress over forgetting something & now the un-daunting task of locating my keys?

I leave the door wide open...(my mother would be crazy right now with letting in the bugs). 
I drop my luggage there in the doorway & out fall my keys. 
Ironic huh?
I step out into the unusual weather.
There's a wall of warmth.
I turn my face to the sky...
...I close my eyes.
That feels good.
I gently sit down on my staircase--at the top of course. I haven't decided if I am going to stay or go.
I lean back & stretch out my arms & slide them across the deck--my back thanks me right about now.
I clear my mind.
I slow my breathing.
I take in the sounds around me.
The smells.
I find myself flat on my back. 
The warmth of the deck feels wonderful!
I just lay there.
Not a thought in the world....
.......serenity.
In the distance I can hear a rumble & sound of gravel under a trucks wheels approaching.
I don't mind. 
I don't bother with another thought to it.
I am so comfortable.
Who would have thought the top step, flat on my back, in the middle of the day would feel so good?
The truck door slams.
Walk. Walk. Walk.
"What are you doing sweetie?"
I lift my head up, squinting with one eye in an attempt to focus on the husband standing at the bottom of the stairs with a priceless look on his face...
"Just lying here."
"OK then. Carry on."
And I laid my head back down, closed my eyes, & drifted off to sleep.

It was only 20 minutes or so, but unbelievably refreshing. I never thought of my steps in any other means except to serve as the doorway to & from my homes entrance. BUT, now? It's my secret napping place.

Maybe jut five more minutes...
...make it ten.


No comments:

Post a Comment